Thursday, September 11, 2014

New Me, New Blog


I'm Tammy and I'm currently in my 15th year of teaching ELA. Well my 15th year will start next week because I'm currently still on a medical leave. I don't want this entry to be sad and depressing so I'm going to give you a cliff's notes version of my illness.

In May 2012 I had a lot of stress in my life. My school I had worked in most of my career was closing and my husband and I were trying to have a child. We had been trying for about 6 months when I started having issues (I don't want to get graphic) and I went to the doctor. I tried various tests and medications. Not only could my doctor not solve the problems, he didn't even know what was causing them. That's when I switched doctors.

In August of 2012 I had my first surgery which left inconclusive results because I had a lot of medicine in my system. We redid the surgery a couple of months later and I was diagnosed with complex hyperplasia of endometrial with atypia which is a long name for pre-cancer. That was scary enough but just two short months later I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer stage 1. That's when I left this second doctor who couldn't solve my problem but at least he found out what the problem was.

After the cancer diagnosis I went to a famous cancer hospital in NYC where I was treated by a famous oncologist. He put me on a heavy dose of hormones and told me to get surgery every 3 months. He said that with a lot of women the hormones can balance things out and the cancer could go away. I trusted him but every time I had the surgery performed the recovery time got longer and the way I felt worsened. I was at a point where every time I had a break from work (Christmas, Spring Break, etc) I had surgery. I used to go on nice vacations once or twice a year. All that ended. I also starting gaining a lot of weight from the hormones and the stress.

I always knew that I had another option but it was a last resort. In April 2014 I had my 7th surgery during Spring Break and it took me 2 1/2 weeks to recover from it. That's when I decided I had enough.  In July 2014 I had a total hysterectomy. Just 8 days after surgery I got the news that I was 100% cancer free. No more hormones, no more surgeries but it also means I will never have my own child. I know there are other options out there right now it's too soon for me to think about it.

For the first time in years I am on zero medication. I have an appointment with my oncologist 6 months after the surgery and if that goes well I can say goodbye to him. He's a nice guy but I'm glad I won't have to see him again. I feel like a whole new person. I know that I wasn't giving 100% to my students while I was ill. I was showing up and teaching but I wasn't the same as I was before. I wasn't as energetic or creative. I was wasn't myself.

Now that I'm cancer free I'm going to be making a lot of changes in my life. I'm going to start exercising. Next week I'll be 8 weeks post op and that's when I'm allowed to workout. I'm going to have to start slowly because I'm completely out of shape but if I can beat cancer, I can do anything. I also love to write. I had an old blog and I decided to start this new one as part of my new self. I'm now Tammy version 2.0.

I'm not going to make promises about how often I'll write because I don't want to disappoint anyone (including myself). I'll write when I can. I actually have a couple of things that happened this summer that I just never had time to write about because my health consumed my days and nights. Btw if you like the blog design Danielle from Crayonbox Learning did my blog design.

5 comments:

  1. Love, love, love your new blog!! Looks awesome!

    Thanks for sharing your journey - it's brave of you to write about such personal events. I am thrilled to know you're cancer free and excited to see where Tammy 2.0 will go this year. Keep us posted!

    Addie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Addie. I only wrote a cliff's notes version of what happened. I didn't want to get depressing or gross lol.

      Delete
  2. Tammy, Your new blog looks amazing! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Your new life and new blog are inspirational Tammy! You attitude is uplifting! Love your design too! Girl...just keep on blogging!
    Sidney

    ReplyDelete